Friday, September 18, 2009

Maria's Memories of Ada

Maria (Manning) Stradling posted this about her Grandma Ada on March 18, 2007:

This is my Grandma Ada. She was born in Blackfoot, Idaho on September 26, 1915. She spent much of her childhood in California. Her family lived close to the beach-practically every morning she would run a mile with her father and then body surf in the ocean before school.
Music was Grandma's life! She began playing the piano and organ in church at the age of 12. Ada was the youngest certified teacher in the state of California. She was an AMAZING PIANIST. I remember listening to my grandma play when I was just a young child and wishing to one day play like her.

She married Harold (Jack) Thomas in the Mesa Arizona Temple in 1940. They had 10 children (5 boys, and 5 girls). Grandma was a great cook and baked 10 loaves of bread just about every day (At least that's what my Mom says). For Ada's Recipes click HERE. Ada served a four year term on the Arizona State School Board from 1986-1990. President Reagan awarded her a flag of the US that had flown over the capital building for her devoted service. Grandma's favorite things included: garage sales, birds, the ocean, music, cool weather, and people (She was a very social person and enjoyed visiting with everyone). At the time of her death in 2005, she had 62 Grandkids and 75 Great-Grandchildren! I love my Grandma Ada very much and I cherish the time that I spent with her. I admire her faith and testimony. She was a great example to all who knew her!
In her later years Grandma Ada developed dementia. I worked for a company called "Home Instead", and had the opportunity of caring for her in her home. It was during this time, that I learned to truly appreciate my Grandma. I learned a great deal about her life (mostly childhood) as she was able to recall many of her early memories. How grateful I am for this precious time with her!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

This is a great blog, Mom! Josh, Grace, and I had fun looking at it tonight. I have great memories of Grandma Ada. She was such a wonderful, classy lady. A great example!!!