Sunday, October 18, 2015

Mary Ann Mitchell Davis- Jack's Maternal Great Grandmother







Letter written by Mary Ann Mitchell Davis - March 9 1881 (Sealed in a time capsule to come forth 1930)

To my much loved granddaughters:
My name is Mary Ann Mitchell Davis.  I was born in London, England, October 19, 1823.  My parent’s names are Robert and Sarah Mitchell.  My grandfather and grandmother on my father’s side are Welch. Their names are Robert and Mary Mitchell, which is all I know of my father’s folks.  My father died when I was two years old.
My great-grandfather on my mother’s side was named Gerring.  They were born in Gloustershire, England.  My grandfather’s name was John Hunt, my grandmother’s maiden name was Sarah Gerring.  She was born in Gloustershire, England.  They had ten children, two died in infancy and eight were raised.  Their names were James, Susan, John, Elizabeth, Ann Sarah, Mary Ann, and Jane. They are all dead except for Aunt Jane.  She was married to Henry Hansell in 1830. She has four children living.
I never had a brother or sister.  My mother lived a widow until I was 11 years old, when she married William Booth.  When I was 19 my mother went blind and remained so until she died at my house in Lehi, Utah, Co., 1875, after being blind 33 years.
I was married to Elisha Hildebrand Davis, December 20, 1846.  I am the happy mother of eight children whose names are as follows:  Ann Minerva, Elisha Hildebrand, Sarah Agnes, Orinda Jane, George Edward, Alphonse Mitchell, Edith Richards and Sabina Ann.


My oldest daughter is deaf and dumb, but is of a very amiable disposition, and also a natural genius.
 She has made a variety of beautiful work which is lovely to behold and she is a blessing to our household.
My son Elisha married Sarah Ellen Stewart, from Battle Creek, 7 miles east of here.  They have had five children: Elisha Stewart, Charles Ashwell (died), Pearl Ellen, Alphonse Leroy and Sarah Ann.
Sarah Agnes was married to Charles Karren of Lehi.  They have three children, Maud Agnes, Orinda Ann and Mary Edith.
Orinda Jane was married to Delbert Allred of Lehi.  They have two children, Orinda Lenore and Jennie.
Alphonse Mitchell was married to Martha Ann Winn of Lehi last December.
I received the Gospel from Lorenzo Snow.  I was baptized the 4th day of February 1841.  I can bear a faithful testimony to the truths of the same, and set to my seal that God is true.
I sailed from England in the ship “America” the 21st of Jan. 1847, arrived in New Orleans the 3rd of April, in St. Louis, the 17th and in Iowa the 24th of May in the same year. I arrived in the valley the 9th day of October 1852.  I have been a Treasurer in the Relief Society for 14 years.  I am also President of the Primary Association, Second District, organized in 1878. Mary Ann Webb and Rebecca Evans are my counselors, and Edith Davis, Secretary.  I can truly say I have had a great joy in my labors.

I thought I would write the acrostic that Wilford Woodruff wrote for me.  (He was one of the twelve apostles)
More precious than gold or the pearls of the east,
Are the virtues and beauties that adorn thy mind
Round thee all noble spirits share in that richest feast
Your melodious voice imparts from lovely gifts divine.
Adorned’s thy soul, with gems which angels love
No power shall take thy crown, for that’s secure above
Noble has been thy aim, through thy deeds of life.
May thy future life be marked by God’s own hand.
Inspired by eternal truth, let peace and joy surround thy brow. 
Tread in the Holy Courts of God, in Zion’s chosen land. 
Celestial love shall  through thy sacred bosom flow,
Heaven’s highest blessings are in store for thee. 
Eternity must lift the veil to point to thy domains,
Live then, O noble lady, for those gifts so free,
Lift up thy head in glory with kindred spirits reign.”
Your grandfather’s name is Elisha Hildebrand Davis. He was born in Columbine Co. State of Ohio. His father’s name was Isaac Davis, and his mother’s maiden name was Edith Richards.  His grandfather’s name on his mother’s side was Abijah Richards.  Abijah was of English descent.  His grandmother’s name was Esther Daniels, who was of German descent.
Your grandfather was on a mission a great many years.  He traveled through many of the states, preaching the Gospel of the Son of God, suffering much, but his labors were greatly blessed, for many were added to the Church through his instrumentality. 


He went to England in 1841.  We have been married 34 years, and have lived a life of peace and happiness, uniting our desires for the benefit of our posterity. 
We have a great desire that our children’s children for many generations may walk in the path of righteousness and enjoy the gifts of the Gospel which will bring them joy and peace.
I have seen many changes since I was baptised, also much joy and much sorrow.  I have seen many turn aside and walk the paths of the ungodly.  I have, also, seen the righteous praise God in the midst of their afflictions.  I can say in the sincerity of my heart that those who seek God shall find Him, and the faithful shall have grace sufficient for their day.
I have received many gifts of the Gospel, which have brought with them the spirit that dwells with my Father in the Heavens, and my testimony is that the faithful shall never be moved out of their place.
I  conclude by wishing that my posterity may never turn aside from the truths, that their habitations may be lovely and be filled with the Spirit of God, and that lives may fall to them in pleasant places, and that they may be numbered up as the precious jewels of Him who is our Father and our God.  Never forget God, and believe me to be,
Your loving and affectionate Grandmother,
Mary Ann Mitchell Davis

Note:  This is the come forth in 1930….fifty years from now.  My home is in Lehi, Utah Co., Utah Territory.


1 comment:

Melanie Cooley said...

I really enjoyed that. Thanks for sharing.